Mental Health Law Centre (WA) is a specialist community legal centre. We provide legal assistance to people with a mental illness that is causally related to their legal issues. We specialise in mental health advocacy at the Mental Health Tribunal, criminal defence work and human rights advocacy for guardianship and administration matters at the State Administrative Tribunal.
We are now recruiting suitably qualified graduates and law students as volunteer paralegals. Our paralegals perform crucial tasks: direct client contact through TAL (Telephone Advice Line); legal research; drafting of advice, documents and submissions subject lawyers’ supervision; casework file administration and client interviews. You will work closely with our lawyers and with each other.
At a minimum, you will be a penultimate or final year law student, able to commit to a minimum of one work day per week for six months.
Expectations and culture
Before you apply, please be aware of our expectations and culture:
- We have high standards of both attitude and aptitude. You must come with an excellent work ethic. And you must have strong written and oral communication skills plus strong legal research skills;
- We take pride in our work, and “own” our work as a collective;
- If shortlisted, you will be required to attend a 45-minute interview with the Principal Legal Officer; and
- If you accept an offer, you will be required to attend a two-day induction at our offices.
How it will benefit you
- Gain practical experience in applying the law to our clients’ legal issues;
- Develop their communication skills through dealing with people who have complex needs;
- Develop advocacy skills through working closely with our lawyers on their casefile work; and
- Often have enhanced career opportunities by virtue of their experience gained.
To apply, please submit a cover letter with your resume and complete academic transcript to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include your availability throughout the work week. Please note we usually respond to shortlisted applicants only.
Thank you for your interest. For more information, please visit www.mhlcwa.org.au/